Deafness means a hearing impairment that is so severe that the child is impaired in processing linguistic information through hearing, with or without amplification that adversely affects a child’s educational performance. The child has:
(1) an inability to communicate effectively due to Deafness; and/or
(2) an inability to perform academically on a level commensurate with the expected level because of Deafness; and/or
(3) delayed speech and/or language development due to Deafness.
The characteristics identified in the Deafness Definition are present.
Evaluation of Deafness shall include the following:
(1) audiological evaluation;
(2) evaluation of speech and language performance;
(3) school history and levels of learning or educational performance;
(4) observation of classroom performance; and
(5) documentation, including observation and/or assessment, of how Deafness adversely impacts the child’s educational performance in his/her learning environment.
Information shall be gathered from the following persons in the evaluation of Deafness:
(1) the parent;
(2) the child’s general education classroom teacher;
(3) a licensed special education teacher;
(4) a licensed physician or audiologist;
(5) a licensed speech/language teacher or specialist; and